Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Wind River Range-Canoe and Backpacking in 1978! An adventure to remember!

 I've been trying to remember a backpacking trip back in 1978. It was with some fellows I hardly knew, well, really didn't know at all. One of the guys happened to work at a T.V. Repair shop with a gentleman that had formerly been my partner. F.L. suggested that I go with them. I had never been on a backpacking trip before, and this one would be a challenge. I still remember some of the challenges and have been trying to remember where we went. I knew it was in Wyoming or Montana and near the Tetons and Yellowstone park.

I was working through some photographs today and was looking at a short video of a very windy rainstorm that happened a couple of years ago. The name of the place we did the seven-day trek hit me like lightning - the Wind River Range near Pinedale, Wyoming. There were four of us, two canoes, a dog, and all our supplies. That is me in the cool hat. I remember all the preparations we made. I had to get proper hiking boots (and prep them), a small pop tent, a good sleeping bag, and a backpack. I'm amazed that Carolyn let me go. I'm even more surprised the other three guys would take an inexperienced backpacker like me. Not just inexperienced, but no experience.

There are eight to ten significant trails (back then, they weren't actually trails), and I've narrowed that down to two. We had some fairly long hikes carrying the canoes. In the process, we paddled across three lakes and fished at each one. We had to pack all of our food in for the seven days. We must have counted on getting some fish along the way. We definitely caught fish. Our hike was to take us to the peak of one of the mountains. We followed lakes that got smaller and smaller and beautiful connecting streams that got narrower and narrower. Eventually, we could not get the canoes any further and did the rest of the climb following the stream and various waterfalls.

We would, of course, camp when it got too dark to walk. At night you could hear the scree tumbling down the mountainside. It sounded like thunder. The camp food was always plentiful and delicious. It took minutes to set up camp, build a fire (not allowed much anymore) and bed down for the night. We each had a tent and carried at least 50 lbs to start the trip. Thank goodness the backpacks became lighter as we climbed. The hiking got more complex and challenging each day. 

This is all I can write this evening. There is only a short time until our 9 P.M. online meeting. This has been a fantastic day, full of life-giving moments, fond memories, and new insights! Thank you, F.L., for thinking of me then, and Carolyn for encouraging me to go. It is a trip I will never forget. I know that my son Chad and his wife Wendfal love to hike. They take on far more challenging treks than I ever have. Their son, my grandson, loves to hike with them. You can check out some of their adventures on YouTube. They've gone to places where Carolyn and I took the kids when they were young. They are even trying to do all the Colorado 14 teeners. Talk about a challenge. Love to all. Be adventurous. It is never too late! All the best to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment