Saturday, January 7, 2023

Lanny, the Short Order Cook and an Answer to a Question from One of the Kids

Part 1: The Short Order Cook

I do like to cook. I've had a couple of experiences cooking for the public. While at the University of Iowa, I worked in the serving line at the Quadrangle Cafeteria (1964). I was the Short Order Cook for the breakfast meal.

I also cooked at the Playboy Club in Denver (Early 1968). Carolyn worked there as a receptionist. One night the Short Order Cook didn't show up for work. I only know part of the story, but Carolyn remembers someone asking her if she knew someone who could cook. She told them I had experience! So, they called me, and I went in. They put Chef's jacket on me, explained the job, and took me out on the floor. There was a counter area with a small grill behind a couple of billiards tables. And bunnies! This was just before I had to leave for my Easter Island assignment. I worked at the club for two or three nights - friendly atmosphere! I would share a picture here, but I don't want to embarrass anyone.  

Part 2: The Home Cook 

Carolyn and I both like to cook. Carolyn loves to bake and makes some excellent specialty loaves. We often trade off cooking dinner for each other. One of the things I enjoy about cooking at home s making sure all the dishes are ready to serve at the same time as a complete meal—nothing like cold potatoes or vegetables when it is time to eat. Carolyn and I took an online course, we both ended up doing the course, and we both got our certificates. We learned knife skills, all about cooking without oil, blanching vegetables, steaming vegetables, and many other basic cooking skills. For several years we took turns cooking dinners for each other. These days, we seem to have different food likes and dislikes and often prepare our own meals! But we still do a lot of cooking together. Carolyn, however, does all the baking. I am not a good baker. Mom taught me how to follow recipes and bake. I don't remember her teaching me how to cook. She may have taught my sisters how to cook. There was once a thing that in a marriage, it was the woman's job to do the baking and cooking! All I can say to that is "balderdash."

 Part 3: What is my favorite recipe? 

My favorite thing to bake was Snickerdoodle cookies. I have not been able to get it right since, well, since I was a kid! I only make cookies if it is the kind where you scoop or cut the premade dough!

I'll think of something I'd like to eat, then look up a recipe online. I will share one that I recently garnered at a Weight Watchers meeting. I changed the recipe to suit us, e.g., Fire Roasted instead of plain tomatoes, plant-based meat instead of hamburger (also good with no meat at all), Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning (oh so good)

Plant-Based Cajun Beef Chili: (based on a WW recipe Modified to Plant-based) Prep:0:15 minutes Preparation Time
60 to 90 Minutes Cook Time (For this chili, low and slow adds to the flavor. The heat is never above medium.

Serves 6 Serving Size 1 cup (But who can eat just 1 cup?)
Ingredients:1 tsp Olive oil
1 cup chopped uncooked onions
2 tsp Garlic powder
4 ½ oz cans Diced Green Chile Peppers
2 tbsp Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning (or other Cajun Seasoning)
1 lb Plant-based Meat (we like a spicey sausage for this)
28 oz can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes.
1 Cup Salsa of your choice
¼ Cup Chili Powder
2 15 oz Cans of Drained Kidney Beans

Instructions

1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil on MEDIUM. Add onion and cook, occasionally stirring, until translucent. (About 6-8 Minutes) Add garlic, chilis, and Cajun seasoning and constantly stir for about 1 minute (Until Fragrant. Add the Beyond beef and break it up using a wooden spoon; cook until browned, about 8 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, salsa, water, and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend (about 40 to 60 minutes).
3. Stir in the beans until heated - it takes a little time.
4. Serve it up. Garnish with cheese or scallions or whatever! Notes: Great with Tortilla Chips or Tortilla Leftovers? Use for Nachos, Huevos Rancheros, and smothered baked potato, ….

We've served this to family and friends, and they almost always ask for seconds. Spice it up as you like it!

I'll go make myself an omelet! Live your moments, love your moments, and share your moments with someone you love! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment