Sunday, January 15, 2023

Dad

 This is my Dad, our Dad. My brother Mike sent this to me a few days ago. I am now seventy-seven years old. I was one of the kids who left home at seventeen early age. I returned for a year after dropping out of the University of Iowa. I realize now how little I knew or remember about Dad. This article brings a flood of memories. I look into his eyes in this picture and see God, a life lived to the fullest. This article tells me how much Dad was respected and loved by the Montezuma, Iowa, community, and the state of Iowa. He was active in many things, yet always had time for us! 

Dad learned all about diesel engines and electricity in the Navy. He served at the end of WWII aboard the U.S.S. Little Rock. He was fortunate to be on the Goodwill Tour, sailing to many ports worldwide. Most importantly, he learned a skill that he loved. 

Beyond that, he was a fisherman, a hunter, an expert rifleman, a volunteer fireman, a fire chief, a legionnaire, a bridge player, a construction, cabinet maker, bowler, gambler, ecologist, model aircraft enthusiast, contractor, dancer, a friend, husband, and father, probably much more.

He was a man of integrity, honesty, trustworthiness, and consistency. He was also our mentor and disciplinarian. He taught us right from wrong. He encouraged us! He and mom gave us what we needed to be on our own, the life skills and opportunities that would serve us for the rest of our lives. There is so much more, but all I can say right now is, thank you, Dad - I love you - I am so very proud of you and to be your son!

No comments:

Post a Comment