Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Road Trip - Days 8 & 9 --Gumbo and Lots of Other Food

Okay - I don't intend to have to buy new and larger clothes before getting home.  But, if the rest of the trip is like this - !!!!  Steve is an awesome chef - he could take on Bobby Flay any day of the week.  We met Berta's best friend Pedra (Petra) at the VFW on Monday.  Steve had made gumbo for some couple of hundred folks.  Carolyn and I sat at the bar with Roberta, Petra - and a few other folks.

I had what I would call non-traditional Bloody Mary's -  instead of a stalk of celery the drink come with a "pickled salad" -- my words.  There were pickled onions, beans, okra, asparagus, and olives.  Three of those and a scotch got me ready for the gumbo.

Petra had a way about her that let one know here's a gal that loves life and lives it to the fullest.  What a joy to be around -- but you have to be open to someone who is openly living and completely comfortable with who she is.

We at a Mexican restaurant for supper - Giro something or other.  they claimed to have the countries best salsa. I think they were right.  It was served a bit more than warm and full of onion chunks and spices.  It was truly excellent salsa.  I would say that we had a very "eclectic" experience over the past few days.  I'll be making plans to return for a May fishing trip with Steve.

This morning, the 9th, we have stopped at a Starbuck's as we travel to Janet and Johny's.  I'm trying to catch up with things and relax a bit - a bit of separation from socialization never hurts me a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment