Saturday, December 31, 2022

New Year's Eve

 First things First: I do not make New Year's resolutions! I do my best to improve myself in some way every day! I will write three gratitudes daily and at least one thing I'm personally proud of for that day. It isn't a resolution because I've already been doing it for the past couple of weeks. It helps me reflect on the day, what went well and what I could have done better. 

Last year I made ToDo lists.  I rarely did this in the past.  I've found it a beneficial process.  A few things have been on that list for at least four months.  One of those tasks is to repair the fireplace.  I ordered a new gas regulator, received it, and when I went to install it, the fittings were all wrong.  The part number was almost identical.  I've tried eBay, Craigs List, and Amazon - all to no avail.  I will now contact a fireplace repair shop and see if they may have the correct part. The main gas solenoid is not working.  The pilot light works fine.  So, I have some next steps for that item.

Another item on the ToDo list was on it for a year! Repair the bedroom corner drywall.  I finally got to that a week ago.  It took one year to get to it and five minutes to fix it! 

Overall, reflecting on the past year, things have gone wonderfully well.  We have been able to help children and grandchildren when help was needed. I really enjoy our new car, a Toyota Avalon Hybrid! We named it Sparkie - we named every vehicle we've owned. It helps personalize them and helps me remember they need maintenance! Rosie, our Hyundai Elantra, now has about 198,000 miles on her.

Carolyn and I are doing more volunteering.  We volunteer for Pawsitivity, An organization that finds foster parents for parents whose owners are in recovery. We see this activity very rewarding, we are helping someone in need, and their pets have been good for us! For example, I've started walking from one to three miles a day because the dogs need exercise and a place to poop! We always have extra poop bags with us. Most trails in our area have locations for dispensing these bags and a bin for placing the filled bags.  There are also laws concerning this matter.

Our other volunteer activities revolve around the Bruno Groening Circle of Friends. These volunteer tasks keep us very busy in a very positive way.

I've learned several new software applications, a new treasury system, SnagIt, and Camtasia.  I've made my first couple of YouTube videos.

I've become a better cook. I'm willing to try new recipes and make mistakes while doing them. About mid-year, I made a goal to get myself healthier.  I weighed in at 196 lb. I now weigh 159lb. That is one thing I'm very proud of.  I feel a lot better. My bowling average increased from 150 to 170 (nothing to do with weight loss). I only made a little improvement at golf. 

Most importantly, our family relationships have become much stronger. We started doing family nights again, and those have been great!

I wish you the very best in the New Year!  Live now, the past is gone, and the future is not yet here.  Someone once said, "One needs to live like always is now!"





No comments:

Post a Comment