Saturday, August 20, 2011

New Home, New Noises, New Discoveries ... Like

Okay - I bought an electric (being environmentally conscientious.  A 50' cord is too short, a 100' cord is too long, so I guess I need to buy a 75' cord and split the difference.  I have learned the tricks to managing the cord so's I don't electrocute myself or blow a breaker and, the mower does a great job quietly.

I also learned I should always have a spare or two cord refill for the weed whacker ( in this case used as an edge trimmer -) lesson learned.

Every day is a learning adventure - which switch does what, what outlets are switched, tricky little dimmers - where is the sensor for the front porch light the magically turns on and off by itself -- I have not found that critter yet.  I also learned that speed control fan switches aren't necessarily cheap -- also when the box says "will work with any ceiling fan!" -- don't believe it, there is always fine print.

One also discovers that "ponds" which sound like babbling brooks require maintenance - and water - at these temperatures, 2" a day just dissappears.  We did find a gizmo (already installed) that allows us to run it from dusk to dawn -- just the right time for a comfortable night's sleep.

We also thought it a bit funny that the first three pieces of furniture we bought were tables -- dining room, patio, and today kitchen -  and I discovered garage sales can be a place to find some fantastic bargains.

All-in-all its all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment