Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Where are you Montezuma

Yesterday I tried getting hold of telephones in Montezuma. Area code 641-623-whatever. No rings. I talked to my sister. I guess the phones and internet got hit by a big lightning bolt a few days back. I was happy that there cell phones still work. I'll have to check today and see if they are back in business.

I was pretty much raised in Montezuma - well 2nd grade on - but grew up there. Its a place where mom could let us out of the house and we could go hiking around Diamond Lake or the woods - exploring to our hearts content.

That's where we had our dogs, King, Harold, others I'm sure. The ones we kids promised to take care of, but dad really did all of the work. I was trying to remember how many different houses we lived in during my 10 years there -- B.., G..., M..., C... I just don't recall - they certainly all became homes though. Can you imagine a graduating class (high school) of 41 - biggest ever to that date (1963). Gosh, this is 2008 - 45 years ago I graduated from high school. I don't think we are even having a reunion. They were never really well attended.

My poor recollection was that folks from out of town came, but the home folks didn't -- strange and probably a misperception. I often remember the names of my classmates, the faces, the good memories, and some not so good memories. there is that web site that I see at least 8 members of our class listed now. I've scanned all the old documents -- there truly are some great memories.

I seem to recall though, that I had more nicknames, some very weird than any of the other kids. I wonder why - . We weren't always so kind as kids -- well, maybe not even so kind as adults sometimes. But still - it was a wonderful time, first job, first car, first pickupl truck, first kiss - for some folks anyway.

Ah, life is good. Have an excellent day! Create some memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment